Saturday, February 11, 2012

Oliviers, a savoury cupcake


Sometimes I just want something different for breakfast, or thee, or any... moment.
I am not so very very fond of sweet. If given a choice I mostly choose savory dishes and snacks. And they are not so easy to find (the snacks that is, in baking heaven). That is why I am so deeply in love with the next cupcake recipe I invented.
It is salty, savory and playful in flavor and even miss E. approves. She eats the pieces of black olive without a blink, just because the cake as a whole is so tasty. And best part is you can jumble with ingredients as much as you like. There have been many variations of these Oliviers, but I think this is my best yet. So I wanted to share them with you. Feel free to leave a comment, or if you have another good savory treat in mind, please share. Miss E. and I are keeping ourselves recommended to try and taste!

This is what you need:
3 eggs
150 gr flour
100 ml milk
100 ml sunflower/ vegetable oil (see bottom notes)
1/2 tsp mustard powder
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
1 little bag of dried yeast approx. 7 gr
100 gr grated cheese, preferably old cheese or parmesan.
75-100 gr chopped or crumbled feta cheese
12 black olives without seed, chopped in halves or thirds. (I like 'em a bit chunky)
4 finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
4 tsp of capers very roughly chopped.

a muffin/ cupcake tin for 12 medium muffins


This is what you do:
Heat your oven at 180 C degrees.
Whisk the eggs loose in a big bowl. Add the flour en stir with a wooden spoon or mixer. (I prefer the mixer to make the whole more airy)
Then while whisking away, pour bit by bit the milk and oil into the batter. Add the mustard, salt and pepper and last the yeast. Whisk another minute ore two. Then stop whisking, take a spoon and add the feta cheese, the olives, sun-dried tomatoes and capers. Stir them in to the batter.

Oil/butter and dust your muffin tin with some flour or use paper cupcake bottoms and pour in the batter. (I used paper cupcakes.)
Put the grated cheese on top of your Oliviers.
Put in the oven for approx. 20 minutes.
(Now I have a cold house in this cold cold winter, so this time it took me 30 minutes to bake. In summer it takes 20 minutes. ) So as always, test your baking with a sate pin or knitting needle to see if it's done.
Let them cool.

Now for the secret of these Oliviers:
I use feta on oil that is marinated in this oil and herbs. Instead of sunflower oil, I use the same feta oil and some of the oil of the sundries tomato's to get to my 100 ml oil. This has much more flavor. But experiment as you like. You can leave the mustard powder out, put different cheeses in or on top. Just try and have fun.

3 comments:

  1. It looks so delicious! Made me hungry ;) Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, this looks so good! i finally started a food board with pinterest and have pinned this one and your gingerbread as well - for now. i know there are more of your recipes that i've been wanting to try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...